May 10, 2011

Single mom: "NOT FEELING GUILTY"

It has been almost two months that I have had every other weekend off of my mommy duties.  Big Cheese has been really good about taking the Things and we have had a better understanding of each others responsibilities.  I have read a lot of blogs of single parents who truly feel guilt as well as sadness when their children go with the other parent's home.  I often think there must be something wrong with me, because I truly don't feel that way.  I have friends who are single parents as well tell me I would be sad and that I would miss them. 

Nothing could be further from the truth.  The first weekend I had without the children I did things I hadn't done in a while:
  • I cleaned out rooms, sorted clothes (mine and the children's) without interruptions
  • I had coffee and conversation with friends, without yelling at children to stop what they were doing.
  • I exercised, and not by running after toddlers or with the help of Gymboree. 
  • I sat on the couch and vegged in front of the TV staring aimlessly at shows minus animated characters and singing involved.
  • I ate a hot meal that had just been served, no reheating involved.
  • I stayed in my PJ's until 3 by choice, not because there was no time for a shower or ability to change.
  • I showered in warm water for close to 30 minutes with no one banging at the door to get in.
Sure there was times in the day when I thought about what the Things were doing, but it had been so long since the last time I actually got to do all of the things above that I relished in it. I also figure that since they were with Big Cheese and had the opportunity to build a stronger bond with him, it was a very good thing for my babies.  I have to say I think I finally found an upside to this single/co-parenting situation.  I get some ME time to help me get in gear to be a better parent for Thing One and Thing Two.

What is your way of getting ME time?  Do you feel guilty or refreshed?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...