January 14, 2012

A letter to My Birthday Girl..


Dearest Thing Two,

Today you turn three years old.  You have officially made it through walking, feeding yourself, sleeping through the night (well almost), potty training, pacifier weaning, and you are now a full fledged toddler.  Your baby face is fading fast and I want to burn into my memory the image of the first time I laid eyes on you.  I still see those wide eyes staring back at me and I hear those very loud, boisterous  vocal cords hard at work when you yell at your brother to stop.  How can three years go so quickly? 

You my love have been the sunshine of my days as well as my biggest challenge.  It's hard to keep up with the incessant chatting at 4:30 in the morning when all you want to do is tell me stories of the things you have done, your dreams, your hopes for things you want to do.  I hope that it will always be this way.  Let me tell you one thing, it will never be easy for us to get along.  It's part of the mother/daughter  relationship.  You will want to let go and do things that I may not approve of many times.  Just know this, I do it out of love.  I may have gone down that road and failed at many of the things you will want to do.  So it is my way of protecting you of the pain and frustration of that failure.  I do have to trust that you may be capable of doing those things that I fear.  I have to trust that you will be more than anything I have done.  Just promise me that you will always have those conversations with me at 4:30 in the morning, wherever or whatever.  I promise to keep an open ear, heart, and listen to you, ALWAYS.

Just let me add one thing before I go off to get your cupcakes for you and your friends at ballet class...be nice to your brother and stop bossing him around.  He will be your best ally and friend if you just give him a chance.

Love you Mi Muñeca!

Your Mommy <3
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...